Jerusalem again

first saw Mark Rylance play Johnnie Rooster in those glorious pre-brexity days of 2010 when Cool Britannia was fading but not yet a distant memory. I was not sure I wanted to see it again but I am glad I did. 

With Mark Rylance back again it was another memorable experience.  The same play, but where the divisions between the different classes and cultures of Englishness had seemed to be the start of something in 2010, there was now an air of tiredness and decay, a sense that this might be the end instead.  I love when a play flexes and still speaks to the times.  

What I don't know is whether it will survive another lead actor, as Mark Rylance continues to be the life force of the play.  I'd quite like to see him do it again in another 10 years, although he might have to forgo the handstands then.





Comments