Prima Facie

 Jodie Comer is a force of nature.  Not sure anything more needs to be said but I am probably going to say it anyway. 

I saw this powerful new play by Suzie Miller at a NT live screening. This is a solo performance which takes us through the bruising journey of a rape case through the legal system.  I felt completely wrung out by the end it was so beautifully done. 

What I didn't enjoy was the 20 or so minutes of documentary/round table discussion at the start of the evening, slotted in before the play, covering the issues and realities around how the legal system treats sexual offence cases.  It was all good and meaningful stuff and the charity that was highlighted clearly does important work, but it gave me too much of a steer on how to think - I don't like being told how to think!  I wanted my outrage to come from experiencing the play, not from being told about it first.  For that reason it took me about 10 minutes to settle down and just get into the play. I would have appreciated the cold facts much more after the play to back up what we had just been through. 

But, Jodie Comer was so impressive it didn't really matter in the end, and this is highly recommended!



Comments